Great communication does not just happen. It requires thought, preparation, practice… and it requires a philosophy. There are many philosophies out there in the 21st century business world. But here is what works for us (and our clients tell us it works for them as well):
Great communication requires a few key ingredients, which are the basis of our philosophy: clarity, brevity, context, impact and value. If you are going to communicate effectively in today’s business world, (and by that, we mean, not waste people’s time, and achieve your goals) then you need to think about these five things:
1. Clarity. If your audience has to work hard to understand your point, your communication will underperform. No one will ever say to you, “Please be less clear next time.”
2. Brevity. If your audience is flipping to the end right in the first few minutes, then your story is out of sequence. Don’t keep your audience in suspense. Get to the point!
3. Context. If your audience does not grasp the relevance to them, then you have not provided sufficient context. Relevance is critical.
4. Impact. If your audience does not find your message memorable or impactful, then your message won’t stand out. It is hard to be remembered in 2018. You have to work at it.
5. Value. If your audience does not see value in what you are talking about, it will go in one ear, and out the other, and be quickly forgotten. Don’t tell them why it is valuable to YOU. Tell them why it is valuable to THEM.
We believe in simple concepts. And we believe your communication will benefit from a simple philosophy.
We believe that great communication skills change the world. We transform people and organizations of all sizes with simple, repeatable techniques, through an integrated platform of corporate training, coaching, and asynchronous learning.
Our entire business has been built on the referrals from satisfied clients. So, if you enjoyed your experience with The Latimer Group, or if you like what you read here, please share your experience with others. And if you would like to know more, please contact us at info@TheLatimerGroup.com, or visit our websites The Latimer Group and LatimerNext.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Looking for more from The Latimer Group?