I’ve been thinking a lot lately about personal behaviors, especially in relation to how we “show up” in a professional setting. And here are five things that always seem to jump to the front of the line for me, as being the most important communication behaviors. Think about this… What would it be like if you could…
- Be the one who actually, legitimately listens to people, who brings an intellectual curiosity to what others have to say.
- Be the one who always brings a sense of situational awareness into every room you walk into.
- Be the one who, when you speak, always has something valuable to say, something that is thoughtful and purposeful and worth listening to.
- Be the one who is able to make things simpler, and who can push to the side the things or the possibilities that are less relevant.
- Be the one who is able to take on board a dissenting view without attacking back, or always defending your point.
Think about that. Think about what your life, professional and personal, would be like if you could do these five things on a consistent basis. Think about the value you would add, the credibility you would earn, and the respect you would deserve.
Is this easy? No way. But having some things to strive for makes life worth living. These five are on my radar screen all the time.
This is what I strive for. Care to join me?
Have a great day.
At The Latimer Group, we believe that great communication skills can change the world. We transform people and organizations with simple, repeatable techniques and mindsets. We teach persuasive communication skills through an integrated platform of corporate training, coaching, and eLearning. To learn more about how we can transform your organization, e-mail us at info@TheLatimerGroup.com
Looking for more from The Latimer Group?