Great communication does not just happen. It requires thought, preparation, practice… and it requires a philosophy. There are many philosophies out there in the 21st century business world. But here is what works for us (and our clients tell us it works for them as well):
Great communication requires a few key ingredients, which are the basis of our philosophy: clarity, brevity, context, impact and value. If you are going to communicate effectively in 2015, (and by that, we mean, not waste people’s time, and achieve your goals) then you need to think about these five things:
1. Clarity. if you audience has to work hard to understand your point, your communication will underperform. No one will ever say to you, “Please be less clear next time.”
2. Brevity. if your audience is flipping to the end right in the first few minutes, then your story is out of sequence. Don’t keep your audience in suspense. Get to the point!
3. Context. if your audience does not grasp the relevance to them, then you have not provided sufficient context. Relevance is critical.
4. Impact. if your audience does not find your message memorable or impactful, then your message won’t stand out. It is hard to be remembered in 2015. You have to work at it.
5. Value. if your audience does not see value in what you are talking about, it will go in one ear, and out the other, and be quickly forgotten. Don’t tell them why it is valuable to YOU. Tell them why it is valuable to THEM.
We believe in simple concepts. And we believe your communication will benefit from a simple philosophy.
Good luck and have a great day.
At The Latimer Group, our individual Coaching services are highly customized and designed to help you achieve your specific goals. Typical engagements focus on developing skill sets in Leadership Communications, Public Speaking, and Executive-Level Business Presentations. To learn more, e-mail us at info@TheLatimerGroup.com